Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"The Science of Shopping" Questions

1. What points from this article do you feel are the post important?
The consumer is constantly evolving. The change in the way makeup is sold is a great example. We are more independent, instead of relying on someone to dress us, we want to come up with our own look. This really plays into how much contact we have with sales people too. When I walk into a store, I expect someone to say hello, offer me help if I need it and then leave me alone. I don't want a person following me around, constantly suggesting things. I also liked the anecdote about the father grocery shopping with his kids. The idea of avoiding the cookie aisle is so obvious that it is clever.

2. How much do you personally feel you are influenced by a store's design?
I am definitely influenced by a store's design. I dislike stores with expansive white walls and harsh lighting. As far as the floor plan goes, I like to be able to see the door (or at least know exactly where I am in relation to it) at all times. Being lost in a maze of smaller rooms that don't always connect, like in Forever 21 or Saks Fifth Avenue, makes me feel uncomfortable. My favorite store is Anthropologie. I always go in even if it is just to see how the windows are decorated. I have seen arches made of books, flowers made of 2 liter pop bottles and snowflakes made of newspaper. Once I have seen the decorations I make my way to the back of the store where the keep the sale items. And that's where the get me, on the way I see a dress that would be cute for my cousin's bar mitzvah or any other number of things I want.
The focus isn't even the clothing



3. Make a check list you could use to analyze a retail store like Paco Underhill does.
Is there enough merchandise that the consumer has options but is not overwhelmed? Are the employees nice but willing to leave you alone? Are stores across the country set up in a similar way? How long are checkout lines? Does the store pull the customer in? Does the consumer want to spend time in the store?

No comments:

Post a Comment