Thursday, November 4, 2010

What The Mall Should Learn From Main Street

1. To what extent do Whyte and Gibbs approach city design from different perspectives? Do you find one more convincing than the other?
Whyte favors a more cluttered design and Gibbs likes things very clean and simple. Gibbs believes that there should be very few benches and if there are any they should face store windows so people are shopping even when they are taking a break. He doesn't create spaces for people to congregate and just wants them to funnel them into the next store. Whyte encourages people to window shop and congregate in front of doors or statues. He discusses obstacles in a walkway as a way to bring people into a store. Street-furniture is a good thing according to Whyte and a bad thing according to Gibbs.
I find Whyte's design more convincing than Gibbs. Whyte encourages people to mill about in shopping areas and many of them turn into buyers. Gibbs misses out on this accidental consumer because his mall designs are for people who go shopping with a purpose. Also, I can't stand shopping in an area where I am the center of attention, Whyte's designs would help to keep the focus off of me.


2. What elements of an urban area are particularly attractive to you? What elements repel you? 
I love interesting architecture. The mismatched, old buildings that Whyte describes as his ideal shopping location are a big draw for me. I dislike streamlined commercial areas that feel clinical. I also enjoy shopping in an area where many people are wandering around. People watching keeps me in a shopping past the time I have bought everything I need and I often buy more because of it. Safety is also important in an urban area. Abandoned buildings are alright in some circumstances  but they shouldn't feel creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment